Sunday, November 2, 2008

Everything's bigger in Texas...except, aparrently, my blogging skills...

I know, I know....I've been quite the slacker lately when it comes to blogging...ok, so it's been over 2 months. My bad. Rather than recap the past 2 months (move, adjusting to live-in fiance, new job, new state, blah blah blah), I think I'll start with a few observations I've found out about Texas. So here goes...

1. Everything IS bigger in Texas (including my waistline). I've never seen so many churches the size of football stadiums before. Giant trucks, giant signs, giant stores...even my gym is ridiculously massive.

2. Texans are old-school...and I kinda like it. I guess it's rather anti-feminist of me to appreciate the fact that I never have to open doors myself anymore, or even pay for drinks or lunch. The lunch thing, well that's just nice for my wallet...but I really like the gentleman approach most of the Texas men have down here. It's just good manners.

3. I could visit a different restaurant every day, and not run out of places to eat until I'm 45. They sure do loooove their food here. The next stop on my list is one of the Brazillian steakhouses they have here....meat on a stick, here I come!!

4. Nobody who lives in Dallas is actually from Dallas. Everyone here is a transplant.

5. If you thought Minnesota drivers were crazy...try driving in Texas. I had to put rocket launchers on my '99 Plymouth Breeze just to merge onto the freeway with the flow of traffic.

6. Did I mention the food yet? It rocks. As seen by the 90 pounds I've gained since I got here.

7. I've said "y'all" in a sentence without thinking already. Twice. Shit.

8. If you're not a football fan in Texas, you have absolutely nothing to talk about until January. It helps to be a Cowboys/Longhorns fan, too. And the movie/show "Friday Night Lights?" Yep. Totally accurate.

9. Seriously, the food. Yumm.

10. "Minnesota Nice" looks like New York Rude compared to Texans. I had a lovely conversation about good restaurants in the area with my checkout clerk at Whole Foods yesterday. The gentleman who tested my car for its emissions test offered to get me in touch with his friend in the banking industry to get me a job (keep in mind, this was back in August, so a job in the banking industry wasn't as much of an insult as it is now). Nice, nice, nice.

11. I still miss New York.

12. If there's a forecast of a snow/ice storm, the state shuts down.

13. It's currently 80 degrees here. In November.

14. I have never seen so many people that are sooooo proud of their state. Every car has a bumper sticker. Every store has a "Texas" section (I could buy a Tony Romo jersey in 6 different colors at my local grocery store). Bronzed longhorn statues surround shopping malls. Texans suuure do love Texas.

15. I have never seen so many exotic cars in my life. The little "shopping center" (aka strip of boutique shops with things I could never afford) near my office has streets lined with Porsches, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Mercedes...I saw a brand-new Sebring parked there once. It looked out of place.

16. I pass 6 Starbucks coffee shops on the way to work. I work 5 miles from home.

17. If the country's in a recession, somebody forgot to tell the city of Plano, TX. It's a refuge of American consumerism.

18. Have I mentioned the food lately?

19. Not everyone drives a big truck and carries a rifle all the time. Most do, but not everyone...

20. I think I'm gonna like it here.

Now, all this talk about food is making me hungry...I better go grab some barbecue...

No comments: